Do Dipole Moments affect Bond Strength?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

jonathanshi_1A

Do Dipole Moments affect Bond Strength?

Postby jonathanshi_1A » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:27 pm

I understand that the width of an atom, # of bonds, and # of lone pairs can affect the strength of a bond; however, does the difference in electronegativity affect the strength of a bond as well, as it increases the ionic character of a bond?

Hao 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Do Dipole Moments affect Bond Strength?

Postby Hao 1I » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:16 pm

The difference in electronegativity is also described as the average of the ionization energy and the electron affinity. Therefore the higher the ionization energy, the larger electronegativity difference is and hence, the more electronegative, the more ionic the bond is. The strength of the bond is stronger with a higher electronegativity because larger atoms and smaller atoms have a higher attraction. Cations and anions atoms tend to have high electronegativity because the small cation ion attracts the large anion's cloud of electrons.
Last edited by Hao 1I on Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Amber_Carlton_3D

Re: Do Dipole Moments affect Bond Strength?

Postby Amber_Carlton_3D » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:18 pm

Electronegativity does in fact affect bond strength because the larger the difference in electronegativity between two atoms, the stronger their bond strength is in most cases. For example, Fluorine has a higher electronegativity than Chlorine; thus, the bond energy of HF is higher than the bond energy of HCl. Also, the larger the dipole moment, the greater the polarity and the greater the bond strength.

Return to “Dipole Moments”