Correct Dipole Depiction

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jesus A Cuevas - 1E

Correct Dipole Depiction

Postby Jesus A Cuevas - 1E » Tue May 22, 2018 11:14 pm

The textbook mentions that when drawing the dipole we either use the original convention (arrow pointing towards the partial negative charge) or the modern convention (arrow pointing towards the partial positive charge). For the test, are we expected to use the modern convention like the textbook does or will the questions explicitly ask for a certain convention? Thanks in advance!

kimberlysanchez-1E

Re: Correct Dipole Depiction

Postby kimberlysanchez-1E » Tue May 22, 2018 11:15 pm

i think they would want us to draw the arrows

Bryan Jiang 1F

Postby Bryan Jiang 1F » Tue May 22, 2018 11:53 pm

In lecture, it seems that the original convention (arrow pointing towards the partial negative charge) was used. However, I think Dr. Lavelle made a comment that in physics, the arrow pointing toward the partial positive charge is common.

SamanthaGrohe1B

Postby SamanthaGrohe1B » Sun May 27, 2018 5:47 pm

I am interested in what changed between the original to the modern convention of dipole arrow drawings that causes such a discrepancy in arrow configuration?

Jesus A Cuevas - 1E

Postby Jesus A Cuevas - 1E » Tue May 29, 2018 10:31 am

I actually had the same question because it seemed like such a dramatic change in how its depicted. From what I've read they only mention there was "a change in convention", which doesn't really answer the question. Maybe Lavelle or other Chemmods are able to add more insight.

Return to “Dipole Moments”