Different types of dipole moments?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sarai Viveros 1K

Different types of dipole moments?

Postby Sarai Viveros 1K » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:32 pm

I know there are different types of dipole moments, but what are they and what are the differences between them? Which ones should we know?

Heung Ching Chia 1E

Re: Different types of dipole moments?

Postby Heung Ching Chia 1E » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:00 pm

A dipole moment is when atoms in a molecule share electrons unequally. This occurs when one atom is more electronegative than another.

By different types, do you mean a dipole-dipole and dipole-induced-dipole interaction?

Dipole dipole is a type of intermolecular attraction, which is a attraction between two molecules. Dipole-dipole interactions are electrostatic interactions between the permanent dipoles of different molecules and so the partially negative side of a polar molecule is attracted to a partially positive side of another polar molecule.

Dipole induced dipole is a weak intermolecular attraction, and it is when a polar molecule causes a dipole in an atom or in a nonpolar molecule by disturbing the arrangement of electrons (i.e. the partially negative side in a polar molecule repels the e- in the nonpolar molecule, causing one side to be partially positive, so the polar molecule's partially +ve side can be attracted to the partially positive side of the nonpolar molecule) in the nonpolar species.

alexagreco1A

Postby alexagreco1A » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:27 pm

I also am a bit confused as to which we need to know. There were many different types introduced in one lecture, but which ones should we know, and to what extent?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:01 pm

You should know all since they were all introduced in the lecture.

Return to “Dipole Moments”