Fluctuation

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ramsha Dis1B

Fluctuation

Postby Ramsha Dis1B » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:25 am

I don't completely understand the fluctuating concept. I know that in order to attract each other one side of the atom becomes slightly negative by the electrons and another atom becomes slightly positive, but why is it called fluctuation? Do electrons keep moving around making the bonded side of the atom sometimes slightly positive and other times slightly negative?

Shubham Rai 2C

Re: Fluctuation

Postby Shubham Rai 2C » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:35 am

Based on what we have learned so far, to me it seems that we can never be certain of electrons location in the orbitals. However, when a significant amount of the electrons are supposedly at one side of the atom, they can create a dipole moment that then induces a dipole moment in the adjacent molecule. Think of the electrons of a molecule as a cloud, where they can move around and be dense at one point of the molecule.

Ricky Ma DIS 4E

Postby Ricky Ma DIS 4E » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:20 pm

It is just that electrons are moving around an atom at all times. Luckily and by chance, they would be at one side of the atom which can cause induced dipole movements.

daniella_knight1I

Postby daniella_knight1I » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:32 pm

The fluctuations depend on the density of the electrons as well as how positive the nucleus is, either way they fluctuate because they are repelled by the electrons that are dense around them causing movements.

Return to “Dipole Moments”