Identifying whether there is a dipole moment

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Milena Aragon 2B

Identifying whether there is a dipole moment

Postby Milena Aragon 2B » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:07 pm

If we are asked to determine if there is a dipole moment, will we be given the atoms' electronegativities or will the atoms be typical enough (e.g. F-H) that we can identify the dipole moment without the exact electronegativity value?

Maharsh Patel 4E

Re: Identifying whether there is a dipole moment

Postby Maharsh Patel 4E » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:13 pm

I do not think that we will be given the electronegativity of the atoms if asked if THERE IS a dipole moment because you can tell if there is a dipole by the periodic tends. Whoever, if we were told to CALCULATE the dipole moment, then we probably would be given the electronegativities of the atoms.

Rithana Srikanth 3L

Postby Rithana Srikanth 3L » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:42 pm

I think they would just expect us to be able to figure it out based on the periodic trends and our general knowledge of electronegativities.

Nell Mitchell 1E

Postby Nell Mitchell 1E » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:40 pm

Electronegativity should only be included in term of trends, as in the electronegativity of one element relative to another. This is all you need to know for the dipole questions we've seen so far - no calculations necessary.

Kayla Vo 1B

Postby Kayla Vo 1B » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:40 pm

I'm sure that you just have to only know the periodic trend of electronegativity (increases across a period and decreases down a group)

Return to “Dipole Moments”