Nodal Planes

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

StudentD2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Nodal Planes

Postby StudentD2B » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:33 pm

Could someone clarify what exactly a nodal plane is, how to find them, and what they cause? Im a little confused on the whole subject.

Megan Wong 4E

Re: Nodal Planes

Postby Megan Wong 4E » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:11 am

Nodal planes are areas where there is no possibility of electron density. In other words, it will be impossible to find electrons in nodal planes.
Essentially for this class, I believe that all you need to know is that the p orbital has 1 nodal plane and the d orbital has 2 nodal planes.

StudentD2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Nodal Planes

Postby StudentD2B » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:17 pm

Megan Wong 4E wrote:Nodal planes are areas where there is no possibility of electron density. In other words, it will be impossible to find electrons in nodal planes.
Essentially for this class, I believe that all you need to know is that the p orbital has 1 nodal plane and the d orbital has 2 nodal planes.

When I was reading about pi bonds, it mentioned that a pi bond has one nodal plane and that a sign bond has no nodal planes, does that just mean that pi bonds contain a region where there is no electron density since they bond in two paces (meaning the part between the two parts o the one pi bond would be the nodal plane?).

Return to “Dipole Moments”