Drawing dipole moments

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Melody Zhang 3L

Drawing dipole moments

Postby Melody Zhang 3L » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:52 pm

I just wanted to clarify in a lewis structure whether we should draw the arrows pointing to the positive or negative dipole? In my notes from the lecture, I drew the arrows pointing to the negative dipole, but I think the textbook prefers drawing the arrow pointing to the positive dipole.

Chloe Thorpe 1J

Re: Drawing dipole moments

Postby Chloe Thorpe 1J » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:55 pm

I noticed this too. I believe Lavelle said that, in class, we draw the dipole from the positive to the negative side. As long as you label the delta negative and the delta positive, I'm sure you'll be fine, but I think we are supposed to draw them positive to negative.

Joussie Camacho 4I

Postby Joussie Camacho 4I » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:49 am

I was also confused by this because it's drawn one way in the textbook but my TA drew it the opposite way in discussion. SO, by drawing "from positive to negative" do you mean with the arrowhead (<) on the negative dipole and the tail on the positive dipole?

Nathan Tran 4K

Postby Nathan Tran 4K » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:16 am

I know what you're talking about when you say the textbook and lectures are different when it comes to drawing dipole. I would stick with what Lavelle said though. You are right about how we draw it--the arrow points to the more electronegative atom while the "tail" is near the less electronegative atom. I am not sure if this is intentional in the drawing, but I see the tail as a plus sign and it makes sense that the plus sign is near the less electronegative atom.

Return to “Dipole Moments”