Hydrogen Bond

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nikita Patra 3J

Hydrogen Bond

Postby Nikita Patra 3J » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:00 pm

What is the difference between a hydrogen bond and a dipole attraction?

Kimberly Koo 2I

Re: Hydrogen Bond

Postby Kimberly Koo 2I » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:21 pm

Hydrogen bonding is a type of dipole-dipole interaction. The hydrogen bonds are more commonly found in water molecules and are usually stronger.

John Arambulo 1I

Postby John Arambulo 1I » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:15 pm

A hydrogen bond is a type of dipole-dipole attraction, but it is stronger because the hydrogen atom(s) are covalently bonded to oxygen, nitrogen, or fluorine. Because there are only one proton and one electron in the hydrogen atom, when it is bonded with oxygen, nitrogen, or fluorine, the dipole moment is strong because of the large electronegativity difference between the hydrogen and those elements. As a result, there is a partial negative and partial positive region which make the molecule strongly polar.

Sally Qiu 2E

Postby Sally Qiu 2E » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:28 pm

a hydrogen bond is a type of dipole-dipole interaction, but it's specifically between hydrogen and N, O, or F. it's the stronger than dipole-dipole because of the partially positive hydrogen atom and partially negative N O or F

nicole-2B

Postby nicole-2B » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:14 pm

Hydrogen bonds are formed when H is bonded to F,O,N. Easy way I was taught to remember if it is a hydrogen bond was if Hydrogen was bonded to Freak Of Nature.

Postby 805394719 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:28 pm

Hydrogen bonds occur between the hydrogen that is bound to an electronegative atom like fluorine, nitrogen, oxygen, and fluorine, nitrogen, or oxygen that are partially charged. For example, hydrogen bonding occurs between the water molecules between partially negatively charged oxygen and partially positively charged hydrogen. Although hydrogen bonding is an example of dipole-dipole interactions, not all dipole-dipole interactions are considered hydrogen bonds. Dipole-dipole interactions can occur between any two dipoles, for example, between any two molecules that have dipole moment. It can occur between the partial positive and partial negative charges created within a molecule and the partial charges created within another molecule. So this type of interaction occurs between polar molecules that have dipole moment.

Miriam Villarreal 1J

Postby Miriam Villarreal 1J » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:00 pm

A hydrogen bond is one of the stronger dipole dipole interactions due to the difference in electro negativity when bonding with fluorine oxygen or nitrogen. However in its totality is one of the weaker forces considering how easy they are to break when compared to covalent/ ionic bonds

AniP_2D

Postby AniP_2D » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:31 pm

A hydrogen bond is a type of dipole-dipole interaction found amongst polar molecules. It is very strong, meaning that molecules that have hydrogen bonds have a high boiling point. Hydrogen bonds can only occur when an H atom bonds with either a F, O, or N atom.

Return to “Dipole Moments”