Dipoles Cancelling Out

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rohan Kubba Dis 4B

Dipoles Cancelling Out

Postby Rohan Kubba Dis 4B » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:41 pm

When would dipoles cancel out. For instance, CH4 (methane) has two different elements yet all the dipoles “cancel out”; when would I know when other elements have dipoles the cancel out? Would I just have to draw them and evaluate?

DarrenKim_3G

Re: Dipoles Cancelling Out

Postby DarrenKim_3G » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:43 pm

I believe cancelling out has to do with the symmetry of a molecule. For example C2Cl4 has no net dipole moment because the molecule is symmetric so the moment cancels out

Ada Chung 1C

Postby Ada Chung 1C » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:44 pm

I don't think that Dr. Lavelle has talked about the shape of the molecule yet but I think we'll be going over that soon. But for the most part, it depends on the symmetry/shape as said above. CH4 is a tetrahedral molecule thus it is nonpolar.

Natalie Benitez 1C

Postby Natalie Benitez 1C » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:33 pm

DarrenKim_3G wrote:I believe cancelling out has to do with the symmetry of a molecule. For example C2Cl4 has no net dipole moment because the molecule is symmetric so the moment cancels out

When you say symmetric what does that exactly refer too, perhaps the shape of the element?

Vuong_2F

Postby Vuong_2F » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:52 pm

Natalie Benitez 1C wrote:
DarrenKim_3G wrote:I believe cancelling out has to do with the symmetry of a molecule. For example C2Cl4 has no net dipole moment because the molecule is symmetric so the moment cancels out

When you say symmetric what does that exactly refer too, perhaps the shape of the element?

Yes, if you draw out the molecule, you will see that the arrangement of the C--Cl bonds is symmetric, therefore they cancel out and the overall molecule has no dipole moment.

Return to “Dipole Moments”