Hydrogen Bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Amy Luu 2G

Hydrogen Bonds

Postby Amy Luu 2G » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:01 pm

I am a bit confused on determining whether a molecule forms hydrogen bonds. I know it only occurs when the hydrogen is attached to either N, O, or F. What are the other requirements? For example, hydrogen bonds between different molecules. Can the H only bond to N,O,F on other molecules? Or can it bond to any as long as there is a partial negative charge?

Brian_Ho_2B

Re: Hydrogen Bonds

Postby Brian_Ho_2B » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:04 pm

Amy Luu 3I wrote:I am a bit confused on determining whether a molecule forms hydrogen bonds. I know it only occurs when the hydrogen is attached to either N, O, or F. What are the other requirements? For example, hydrogen bonds between different molecules. Can the H only bond to N,O,F on other molecules? Or can it bond to any as long as there is a partial negative charge?

Only when H forms an intermolecular attraction with N, O, F on other molecules can it be considered an H-bond. H can form intermolecular forces with negative partial charges of other elements besides N, O, and F, but it would just be considered "dipole-dipole" instead of h-bonding.

Cooper Baddley 1F

Re: Hydrogen Bonds

Postby Cooper Baddley 1F » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:07 pm

For a hydrogen bond to occur the N, O, and F also has to have a lone pair

Return to “Dipole Moments”