Intermolecular force

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rita Chen 1B

Intermolecular force

Postby Rita Chen 1B » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:22 am

Would it be okay to say that even though it is an intermolecular force, the stronger, the harder the bonds are to break?

Charisse Vu 1H

Re: Intermolecular force

Postby Charisse Vu 1H » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:20 am

Yes! It would be perfectly fine to refer to intermolecular forces as stronger or weaker. It is true that the stronger the intermolecular force is, the harder it is to break the bonds between the molecules.

Reina Robles 2B

Postby Reina Robles 2B » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:00 am

I believe so. Just as a side note though, the molecules aren’t bonded to each other like in a covalent or ionic bond. They’re interacting with each other/strongly attracted to each other.

I hope this helps!

Pegah Nasseri 1K

Postby Pegah Nasseri 1K » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:00 am

Yes, if the intermolecular forces between two molecules is stronger, it will be harder to break the bonds between them. The strengths of the different types of intermolecular forces in increasing order are as follows: induced dipole-induced dipole (London forces) < dipole-dipole < ion-dipole < ion-ion

Reina Robles 2B

Postby Reina Robles 2B » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:19 am

pegahnasseri_3L wrote:Yes, if the intermolecular forces between two molecules is stronger, it will be harder to break the bonds between them. The strengths of the different types of intermolecular forces in increasing order are as follows: induced dipole-induced dipole (London forces) < dipole-dipole < ion-dipole < ion-ion

I agree with all of this! I’d also like to add on two more intermolecular interactions, dipole induced dipole and hydrogen bonding. If they were ranked from strongest to weakest it would be:

1. Ion-ion
2. Hydrogen bonding
3. Ion-dipole
4. Dipole-dipole
5. Dipole-induced-dipole
6. Induced-dipole induced-dipole

(And for weakest to strongest, just reverse the list.)

I hope this helps!

Lizette Noriega 1H

Postby Lizette Noriega 1H » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:15 am

Yes, that should be fine because it is true that the stronger an intermolecular force is, the more difficult it is to break the bond

Return to “Dipole Moments”