Definition of Dipole

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emily Ding 1J
Been upvoted: 3 times

Definition of Dipole

Postby Emily Ding 1J » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:47 am

Hi, this is a very simple clarification but I felt really lost towards the end of today's lecture. I'd just like to clarify that a dipole moment is when there's a charge difference, and specifically a dipole moment in a covalent bond is because the atoms aren't the same so the electrons aren't shared equally (even though it's a covalent bond, it has ionic character)? So does this mean the atoms themselves in the molecule are called the dipoles?

Thanks!

Kiran Singh 3A

Re: Definition of Dipole

Postby Kiran Singh 3A » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:53 am

Yes, a dipole means that the electrons are not shared equally and there is a charge difference. For covalent bonds, they have some ionic character if a dipole is present. I believe bonds and molecules can be referred to as dipoles, but not atoms themselves because a dipole means that there are opposite charges present. Hope this helps.

Praneetha Kakarla 3A
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Praneetha Kakarla 3A » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:00 am

Adding onto what Kiran said, a dipole refers to the charge separation so I don't think the atoms themselves are dipoles; rather, their electronegativity difference causes the dipole.

Kareena Patel 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kareena Patel 1G » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:03 am

The way that I think of it is as a polar bond. If there is an unequal sharing of electrons, the molecule is polar and has a dipole moment.

John Calonia 1D

Postby John Calonia 1D » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:03 pm

Clarifying question, is the major difference between dipole and induced dipole the permanence? Like, is a dipole a property of a molecule while induced dipoles only happen when in the proximity of other molecules or ions that can cause distortions?

Margaret Wang 2D

Postby Margaret Wang 2D » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:23 pm

A dipole moment is present at a polar covalent bond, when there is unequal sharing of electrons between a covalent bond. Also can be thought of as a covalent bond with ionic characteristics but also not a full ionic bond

Margaret Wang 2D

Postby Margaret Wang 2D » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:25 pm

John Calonia 2F wrote:Clarifying question, is the major difference between dipole and induced dipole the permanence? Like, is a dipole a property of a molecule while induced dipoles only happen when in the proximity of other molecules or ions that can cause distortions?

Yes exactly! A dipole or dipole moment is always present within a molecule's bond whereas induced dipole happens when one molecule that has a permanent dipole comes close to another molecule that does not have a dipole and has an induced one upon it. Once the two molecules separate, the first one will still have the dipole and the second one will revert back to having no dipole.

Tiao Tan 3C

Postby Tiao Tan 3C » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:43 am

Dipole means that electrons are not shared equally! So they only exist in covalent bonds where atoms share electrons to form bonds.

Return to “Dipole Moments”