H-Bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

SophiaNguyen_2L

H-Bonds

Postby SophiaNguyen_2L » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:20 pm

Hello! So basically, do H-bonds only happen when there's another compound with an atom that has a lone pair of electrons? In general, what compounds have H-bonds, because so far, I only hear H20 as a compound with H-bonds. Thank you!

Kyle Walsh 2J

Re: H-Bonds

Postby Kyle Walsh 2J » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:29 pm

Hi! Yes, H-bonding occurs when another compound has lone pair of electrons AND when the H atom is already bonded to an N, O, or F atom. The compounds that could have H-bonds are anything that satisfy these requirements. Some examples include molecules like chloroform (CHCl3) and ammonia (NH3) and overall compounds like the A-T and G-C DNA bonding example shown in the 11/11 lecture. Hope this helps!

Ashley Ko 3I

Postby Ashley Ko 3I » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi! To my understanding, hydrogen bonding occurs between a hydrogen atom of one molecule and one of three electronegative elements in another molecule (F, O, or N --> I memorize these elements as like fun or fon). The hydrogen atom of the first molecule must also be bonded to one of the three electronegative elements (F, O, or N) in the first molecule itself for the intermolecular attraction between the H and the other electronegative element in the other molecule to be considered hydrogen bonding. Hope this helps!

Alan Huang 1E

Postby Alan Huang 1E » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:00 pm

Hydrogen bonding is a special type of dipole-dipole attraction between molecules and occurs with atoms with lone pairs. Hydrogen molecules can only bond to the F, O, or N elements and several examples include C5H8O2 and HF

DMaya_2G

Postby DMaya_2G » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:11 pm

Only molecules with H attached to electronegative atoms, such as N, O, and F can hydrogen bond.

lauren_tran_1L

Postby lauren_tran_1L » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:34 pm

DMaya_3C wrote:Only molecules with H attached to electronegative atoms, such as N, O, and F can hydrogen bond.

Yes this is exactly true! Hydrogen bonds are intermolecular forces like said in this example and are the strongest INTERmolecular force. The hydrogen bonds within a water molecule for instance is not the same. They do have similar postive and negative ends, but this pertains to INTRAmolecular forces.

Raashi Chaudhari 3B

Postby Raashi Chaudhari 3B » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:26 am

In a H-bond, I think of it like the Hydrogen needs to be sandwiched between two NOF. So this means that one one end, the H need to have a covalent bond to a H,O, or F, and can only then form a H-bond to a different N,O,F if there's a lone pair electron. So in a structure where O has two lone pairs and it is already covalently bonded to an H (think of Sapling #13) theoretically, there can be two H bonds formed to that O because there are two lone pairs available to form a new bond.

Hailey Kang 2K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Hailey Kang 2K » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:38 am

Hi!

Hydrogen bonds occur between atoms with lone pairs, but they also can only bond with Nitrogen, Oxygen and Fluorine

Sydney Jensen 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sydney Jensen 3L » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:42 pm

Hydrogen bonding occurs with hydrogen and another element that is electronegative, such as Oxygen, Hydrogen, fluorine, etc. These when bonded to hydrogen form the hydrogen bonds that are quite strong.

Maddie Turk Disc 2J

Postby Maddie Turk Disc 2J » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:26 pm

Is it any time that H is bonded to N, O, or F or does there have to be another requirement met for their to be hydrogen bonding dispersion?

Raashi Chaudhari 3B

Postby Raashi Chaudhari 3B » Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:39 am

Maddie Turk Disc 2C wrote:Is it any time that H is bonded to N, O, or F or does there have to be another requirement met for their to be hydrogen bonding dispersion?

From my understanding, an H has to already be covalently bonded to a N, O, or F for it for form a Hydrogen bond with a different N, O, or F. I hope that helps!

Emma_Barrall_3J

Postby Emma_Barrall_3J » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:19 pm

"Hydrogen bonding is a special type of dipole-dipole attraction between molecules, not a covalent bond to a hydrogen atom. It results from the attractive force between a hydrogen atom covalently bonded to a very electronegative atom such as a N, O, or F atom and another very electronegative atom." Hope this definition helps!

Jason Knight - 1F

Postby Jason Knight - 1F » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:29 pm

Hydrogen Bonds occur when a hydrogen atom is covalently bonded to fluorine (F), oxygen (O), or nitrogen (N). These atoms listed are notable to hydrogen bonding because they are electronegative and attract the hydrogen from an intermolecular attraction.

Brian Nguyen 2I

Postby Brian Nguyen 2I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:05 pm

Yes, it does happen when you have another compound with a lone pair of electrons. However, you also have to keep in mind that these form when the other compound has a hydrogen bonded to a fluorine, oxygen, or nitrogen atom.

Kaiya_PT_1H

Postby Kaiya_PT_1H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:40 pm

When a question asks about whether hydrogen bonding is possible with a certain molecule, do they mean hydrogen bonding to itself or hydrogen bonding with water?

Return to “Dipole Moments”