Strength of intermolecular forces

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JTieu_1L

Strength of intermolecular forces

Postby JTieu_1L » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:22 am

What does this mean "The reason for the very rapid falling off of the dipole–dipole interaction is that as the distance between molecules increases, the opposite partial charges on each molecule appear to merge and cancel, whereas in the interaction between a point charge and a dipole, only the partial charges on the dipole appear to merge."

BrittneyMyint1D
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Strength of intermolecular forces

Postby BrittneyMyint1D » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:19 pm

I'm a bit confused on the last half of the sentence,, but I believe what the first half is trying to say is that as the distance increases between the molecules, the strength of the dipole-dipole interaction will decrease. Hope this helps!

IanWheeler3F

Postby IanWheeler3F » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:31 pm

I think what it means is dipoles are only temporary and can merge to become neutral, so in the case of two dipoles when they are separated from each other the two dipoles stop reciprocating charge with one another. But a point charge (like an ion) is ALWAYS a point charge no matter how far away it is moved away from a dipole, so only the dipole's partial charges will merge, but not the point charge's charge.

Samudrala_Vaishnavi 3A

Postby Samudrala_Vaishnavi 3A » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:10 am

Distance plays a huge role in determining the strength of dipole-dipole interactions since this increases the bond length between them making the interactions weaker (the measure of the interactions is divided by the distance cubed). If the dipole was interacting with an ion, however, there is a greater difference in electronegativity to the point in which there is still interactions between the dipole and the ion regardless of the distance and the charge of the ion is almost unaffected while the dipole may loose its partial charges (delta positive and negative) like with dipole-dipole interactions.

Return to “Dipole Moments”