Tetrahedral Atoms and Dipole Moments

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ayesha Aslam-Mir 3C

Tetrahedral Atoms and Dipole Moments

Postby Ayesha Aslam-Mir 3C » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:42 pm

Will every tetrahedral molecule with different atoms around the central atom have a dipole moment? (ex: CH2Cl2)

Varsha Ravi 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Tetrahedral Atoms and Dipole Moments

Postby Varsha Ravi 3E » Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:54 pm

I think it depends if the dipoles are canceled out.

Kelly Ha 1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kelly Ha 1K » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:00 pm

Yes, but I believe it also depends on the differences in electronegativity between the different atoms and the central atom. For example, if the different atoms around the central atom have the same electronegativity (despite being different elements), then there won’t be a dipole moment.

Simrah_Ahmed1J

Postby Simrah_Ahmed1J » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:51 pm

Yes I think your right because you have to think about the individual dipole moments and then the net dipole moment for the molecule. So unless there are 4 of the same atoms around the central atom, there will always be a net dipole due to the differing forces since the different atoms have different electronegativities.
Reffering to the CH2Cl2 molecule example, I drew it in an attached image and I think we may have learned it in lecture to be a nonpolar molecule because of the opposing equal dipoles canceling, but I think that there definitely is at least a slight dipole because of how much more electronegative Cl is than H which makes the arrangement of the molecule not perfectly symmetrical. I'm not exactly sure what the verdict is on how we have to approach it for this class though so this could be a good office hours question maybe!
Attachments
IMG_1205.png

Jasmine Ho 3I

Postby Jasmine Ho 3I » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:22 pm

Yes, because the tetrahedral shape makes it impossible for all of the dipoles to cancel out unless all 4 are the same magnitude.

David Jen 1J

Postby David Jen 1J » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:28 pm

Dipole moments can only be cancelled out on a Tetrahedral Atom when it is four of the same elements bonded to a central element. (CCl4)

Jaden Kwon 3C

Postby Jaden Kwon 3C » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:49 pm

I think so because the dipoles wouldn't be able to cancel out due to the atoms having different electronegativities which would slightly alter bond angles and make the molecular polar.

Javier Perez M 1H

Postby Javier Perez M 1H » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:16 pm

Dipole moments only occur when dipoles cancel out or when the forces are said to be balanced. The best way to determine if the forces are balanced around the central atom is to determine the shape and determine all forces around that central atom in the molecule.

Return to “Dipole Moments”