induced dipole

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Funmi Baruwa

induced dipole

Postby Funmi Baruwa » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:23 pm

what is the difference between dipole and induced dipole? And what is the significance of induced dipole ?

Funmi Baruwa

Re: induced dipole

Postby Funmi Baruwa » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:25 pm

also when we say an induced dipole moment has an interaction potential energy of -2 kj mol^-1 are we saying this is the energy given off when two dipoles interact or are we saying this is how much energy is needed for an interaction?

Eileen Quach Dis 2A

Postby Eileen Quach Dis 2A » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:02 pm

A dipole is when a molecule has an atom(s) with a partially negative charge and an atom(s) with a partially positive charge. For example, H2O has a partially negative oxygen atom and two partially positive hydrogen atoms. An induced dipole is a dipole that is temporarily created when another molecule is nearby.

Gillian Gabrielsen2F
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Gillian Gabrielsen2F » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:12 pm

Induced dipole occurs in molecules that aren't dipoles (as in they don't have polar bonds) having a temporary dipole moment due to changing electron clouds. It's only a temporary uneven distribution of electron density.
For dipoles, there's a permanent uneven distribution of electron density due to one of the atoms having a much higher electronegativity than the other atom.

SainehaMaddineni_3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby SainehaMaddineni_3I » Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:24 pm

A dipole refers to a molecule with opposite charges on both ends. Dipoles tend to be for polar molecules.

Induced dipoles are temporary. When an ion or molecule with a dipole comes near a molecule without a true dipole, it will induce the distortion of that molecule's electron cloud, making it have a temporary dipole. These weak and temporary induced dipoles caused by changing electron clouds are typically common for nonpolar molecules.

Alan Nguyen 2I

Postby Alan Nguyen 2I » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:22 pm

Something related to this concept that we learned earlier in class is the presence of London Dispersion Forces. In fact, they are even referred to as induced dipole-induced dipole forces in certain situations. London Dispersion Forces actually exist because of instantaneous dipole moments.

Aashna Bhandari 1L

Postby Aashna Bhandari 1L » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:54 pm

An induced dipole occurs in atoms without naturally occurring dipoles. They gain a temporary dipole when their electrons are in a particular configuration that makes them have a particular net charge on a part of the atom.

Return to “Dipole Moments”