Interaction potential energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Interaction potential energy

Postby 705676154 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:52 pm

Can someone explain how we solve for the interaction of potential energy please?

Jessica Tam 3H

Re: Interaction potential energy

Postby Jessica Tam 3H » Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:20 pm

Hi,
As for the class, I don't believe we would be asked to solve anything, but we should know the general concept behind it. The electron potential energy is proportional to the negative polarizability of atoms or molecules (which depends on the number of electrons and size of the atoms and molecules) divided by the distance between atoms/molecules to the sixth power. So as the distance increases, the interaction potential energy significantly decreases. It is negative because attractive forces are negative.
I hope this helps!

Brooklyn Burgess 3L

Postby Brooklyn Burgess 3L » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:57 am

If distance between molecule increases even slightly, the interaction decreases to the power of six

elletruchan2I

Postby elletruchan2I » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:03 am

Jessica Tam 1A wrote:Hi,
As for the class, I don't believe we would be asked to solve anything, but we should know the general concept behind it. The electron potential energy is proportional to the negative polarizability of atoms or molecules (which depends on the number of electrons and size of the atoms and molecules) divided by the distance between atoms/molecules to the sixth power. So as the distance increases, the interaction potential energy significantly decreases. It is negative because attractive forces are negative.
I hope this helps!

This was super helpful, thank you!

cnyland

Postby cnyland » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:50 am

We aren't expected to be able to solve for it!

Return to “Dipole Moments”