How do you find the "largest dipole moment"?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Vivian Tan 3F

How do you find the "largest dipole moment"?

Postby Vivian Tan 3F » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:05 pm

This is question 3B on the 2014 Final exam:

Which of the following molecules has the largest dipole moment?
CO
NO
HI
HBr
HF

How do I find the dipole moments of these molecules, and how do I know which one is the "largest"?

Thanks!

Jamlah Dalie 1K

Re: How do you find the "largest dipole moment"?

Postby Jamlah Dalie 1K » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:40 pm

HF has the largest dipole moment, you can tell which molecule has the largest by looking on the periodic table, they are usually the pair that are furthest from each other and it is also due to them having the biggest difference in electronegativity, usually the closer two elements are, the weaker the dipole moment.

Vivian Tan 3F

Postby Vivian Tan 3F » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:08 pm

How about HBr? And HI?

Richard_4E

Postby Richard_4E » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:21 pm

HBr would have a larger dipole moment than HI since as Jamlah said, there's a greater electronegativity difference between H and Br than between H and I. In other words HBr is more polar and Bromine will attract electrons to itself more.

Zoe Robertson 2H

Postby Zoe Robertson 2H » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:55 pm

Richard_4E wrote:HBr would have a larger dipole moment than HI since as Jamlah said, there's a greater electronegativity difference between H and Br than between H and I. In other words HBr is more polar and Bromine will attract electrons to itself more.

I'm not understanding why HBr has a larger dipole moment than HI. Aren't H and Br closer to each other on the periodic table than H and I? Wouldn't that mean the opposite?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Postby Chem_Mod » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:40 pm

Dipole moments are indicative of how polar a bond is. So you must find the most polar bond, or bond which has the greatest electronegativity difference.

Linh Vo 2J

Postby Linh Vo 2J » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:15 pm

Zoe Robertson 2H wrote:
Richard_4E wrote:HBr would have a larger dipole moment than HI since as Jamlah said, there's a greater electronegativity difference between H and Br than between H and I. In other words HBr is more polar and Bromine will attract electrons to itself more.

I'm not understanding why HBr has a larger dipole moment than HI. Aren't H and Br closer to each other on the periodic table than H and I? Wouldn't that mean the opposite?

The reason why HBr has a larger dipole moment is because electonegativity increases across and decreases down the periodic table. Since Br is above I, this means that Br is more electronegative, thus making HBr more electronegative than HI.

Return to “Dipole Moments”