Bond Lengths

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kira Conde 2O

Bond Lengths

Postby Kira Conde 2O » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Is a double bond between the same element stronger than a triple bond between two separate elements? I know that a triple bond is usually stronger, but I don't know if that is just for the same element. The example that I had a problem with a double bonded O atom and a C triple bonded to a N. Which one has the stronger bond and why?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Bond Lengths

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:30 pm

If you are asking about CN vs N=O then the triple bond will be stronger in this case. Oxygen and Carbon are close enough to each other that the triple bond is stronger than the double bond (like usual) but there are cases where a triple bond between element X and element Y is weaker then a double bond between element Z and element Y

Patrick Wilson 2B

Postby Patrick Wilson 2B » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:25 pm

So if we are trying to find which bond is stronger between a double bond and a single bond do we base it on the electronegativity of the elements or simply on the fact that one is a double bond so it must be stronger ?

Rishi_Kayathi_1E

Postby Rishi_Kayathi_1E » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Generally, a triple bond is stronger than a double which in turn is stronger than a single bond. However, to know for sure we must look at the bond disassociation energies to find out which one is the strongest.

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”