Double Bond vs Triple Bond

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Joshua Baysa 1J

Double Bond vs Triple Bond

Postby Joshua Baysa 1J » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:37 pm

On one of the posts here, the Chem Mod account replied to a question, and part of the response mentioned that there are some instances where a triple bond could be weaker than a double bond depending on which elements were bonded for each. For the purposes of the class, would we have to know those exceptions to the rule or can we assume that the triple bond will always be stronger?

Brianna Wummer 2L

Re: Double Bond vs Triple Bond

Postby Brianna Wummer 2L » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:47 pm

Hi! I think that for the purpose of the class, we can assume that triple bonds are stronger than double bonds, especially since the exceptions weren't mentioned in lecture to my knowledge. Hope that helps!

Clarissa Molina 1D

Postby Clarissa Molina 1D » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:19 pm

Are there any restrictions to drawing double bonds or triple bonds between certain atoms in lewis structures?

Elizabeth Parker 1K

Postby Elizabeth Parker 1K » Wed May 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Going off of that, when do we know to give a double bond and a lone pair versus a triple bond?

Jessica Lancisi - 1I

Postby Jessica Lancisi - 1I » Wed May 16, 2018 3:54 pm

Im not positive, but I think this may have to do with the formal charge of the atoms being bonded

Neha Divi 1K

Postby Neha Divi 1K » Wed May 16, 2018 5:33 pm

I think you look at the formal charge like the student above stated, but also you can look at the number of electrons total and make sure whether you use a double bond and lone pair versus a triple bond that it still includes all the electrons as well as the formal charge.

Corryn Doll

Postby Corryn Doll » Wed May 16, 2018 10:14 pm

In some cases the available valence electrons will only allow for a triple bond and lone pairs in order for all valence electrons to be used AND for each atom to have a full octet.

For example, in drawing the Lewis Structure of NO+ (3.49 a.) :
the valence electrons=
-N=5 valence electrons
-O=6 valence electrons
-charge= -1 electron

total= 10 valence electrons

Because we are bonding two atoms (1 Nitrogen and 1 Oxygen) the only way to use all valence electrons AND fill both N's and O's octets is to have a triple bond in the middle and one lone pair for N and one lone pair for O. (10 valence electrons used, 8 electrons available to each)

In other cases where having a double bond and lone pairs or a triple bond and lone pairs both use all valence electrons AND fills each atom's octet, the correct Lewis structure would be the one with the lowest formal charge.

Hope this helped!! :)

Anthony Mercado 1K

Postby Anthony Mercado 1K » Sun May 20, 2018 10:35 pm

In reference to the construction of double/triple bonds in Lewis structures, will it be acceptable to make quadruple bonds within compounds? *I believe Dr. Lavelle briefly talked about this during lecture

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”