Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Postby 805098281 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:54 pm

3.117 Structural isomers are molecules that have the same formula but in which the atoms are connected in a different order. Two isomers of disulfur difluoride, S2F2, are known. In each the two S atoms are bonded to each other. In one isomer each of the S atoms is bonded to an F atom. In the other isomer, both F atoms are attached to one of the S atoms. (a) In each isomer the SßS bond length is approximately 190 pm. Are the SßS bonds in these isomers single bonds, or do they have some double bond character? (b) Draw two resonance structures for each isomer. (c) Determine for each isomer which structure is favored by formal-charge considerations. Are your conclusions consistent with the SßS bond lengths in the compounds?

Where do you start for this problem?? I'm very confused on what to do.

harshitasarambale4I

Re: 3.117

Postby harshitasarambale4I » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:34 pm

If you draw out the resonance structures, you will notice that there are single AND double bonds. This means that these bonds have some double bond character. For part c, calculate the formal charges of your two isomers and the one with the least charge is the more favored one.

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”