Electron-Electron Repulsion

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rita Chen 1B

Electron-Electron Repulsion

Postby Rita Chen 1B » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:24 pm

I was wondering if someone could explain to me more about the electron-electron repulsion that makes the atomic radii bigger (I think). Does it matter that much and which one has a bigger impact, the pull from the protons or that repulsion?

Brian_Ho_2B

Re: Electron-Electron Repulsion

Postby Brian_Ho_2B » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:39 pm

Rita Chen 1C wrote:I was wondering if someone could explain to me more about the electron-electron repulsion that makes the atomic radii bigger (I think). Does it matter that much and which one has a bigger impact, the pull from the protons or that repulsion?

Electron shielding occurs when there many orbitals or shells closer to the nucleus so that those electrons experience high amounts of nuclear charge while the electron repulsion allows the outermost electrons to experience less of the full nuclear force. Recall the campfire analogy. For the second question, the pull from the charge of the protons is much more significant than the repulsion, but the electron repulsion still has a considerable effect.

ZainAlrawi_1J

Re: Electron-Electron Repulsion

Postby ZainAlrawi_1J » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:40 pm

One proton has a greater affect on radius than one electron, hence why as you go from left to right across a period, atomic radius tends to decrease.

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”