Midterm Question

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kimberly Bauer 4E

Midterm Question

Postby Kimberly Bauer 4E » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:35 pm

Are bond lengths and energies going to be on the midterm this Wednesday, November 6, 2019? If so, what is there to know about them?

Matt F

Re: Midterm Question

Postby Matt F » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:52 pm

If I remember correctly Dr. Lavelle said that the final slide he went over in lecture on Friday (the one describing interactions that give rise to attractive forces) would not be on the midterm. However, everything else up to that point would be fair game. I don't think you need to know specific values for certain bonds (like the ones of that slide) but I would definitely be familiar with what makes a bond stronger/weaker and also dissociation energy.

Malik Oda 1F

Postby Malik Oda 1F » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:53 pm

Everything except the last slide Dr. Lavelle went over should be on the midterm I believe

Postby 805373590 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:01 pm

the midterm is to topic 2d and according to the outline we have to be able to "List the factors affecting the covalent bond length and explain the effect of each".

NRodgers_1C

Postby NRodgers_1C » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:28 pm

In the syllabus it lists that the topics in the Chemical Bonds unit are:

(ionic and covalent bonds; Lewis structures of inorganic, organic, and biological compounds;
resonance structures; formal charge; Lewis acids and bases; coordinate covalent bonds; octet rule
exceptions; ionic versus covalent bonds; polarisability of anions, polarizing power of cations and their
periodic trends; electronegativity; dipole moments; bond lengths, strengths and dissociation energies;
intermolecular interactions (forces) and hydrogen bonding)

Just to confirm, which topic ares we not expected to know yet?

jvera4b

Postby jvera4b » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:37 pm

NRodgers_1C wrote:In the syllabus it lists that the topics in the Chemical Bonds unit are:

(ionic and covalent bonds; Lewis structures of inorganic, organic, and biological compounds;
resonance structures; formal charge; Lewis acids and bases; coordinate covalent bonds; octet rule
exceptions; ionic versus covalent bonds; polarisability of anions, polarizing power of cations and their
periodic trends; electronegativity; dipole moments; bond lengths, strengths and dissociation energies;
intermolecular interactions (forces) and hydrogen bonding)

Just to confirm, which topic ares we not expected to know yet?

As others have stated, the only topics that won't be on the midterm are those covered on the last slide of Friday's lecture (interactions between ions and molecules)

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”