Resonance structure bond lengths?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

tonyhu

Resonance structure bond lengths?

Postby tonyhu » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:30 am

So we talked about in lecture about how the bond length in a resonance structure is a number in between the two types of bonds because the e- forms a cloud. If that is the case, how could this cloud of electrons have a bond length at all?

Charysa Santos 4G

Re: Resonance structure bond lengths?

Postby Charysa Santos 4G » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:52 am

I think that the bond lengths are more of an arbitrary approximation to gauge which atoms share how many electrons between their electron clouds. The more electrons that they share in close proximity (i.e. how many bonds they have between each other), the closer the electrons will be between those atoms.

DLee_1L

Postby DLee_1L » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:32 pm

I think that the bond lengths are based on the probabilities of where the electron clouds are most likely to be. So when two atoms share electrons, the electron clouds are combined and the bond length is how long that probable electron cloud space is between the atoms

Catherine Daye 1L

Postby Catherine Daye 1L » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:42 pm

Bond length is the distance between the two nuclei of the elements. The electron clouds influence bond lengths by making the elements farther/closer from each other with electron-electron repulsion.

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”