bond lengths

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Katherine Chhen 3I

bond lengths

Postby Katherine Chhen 3I » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:53 pm

How do we determine the bond lengths between different atoms? Also, are we supposed to know if a bond length between 2 atoms are longer or shorter than the bond length between another 2 atoms?

April Meza 3K

Re: bond lengths

Postby April Meza 3K » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:57 pm

The length of a bond is determined by the number of bonded electrons. The higher the bond order then the stronger the pull between the two atoms and the shorter the bond length.

John Arambulo 1I

Postby John Arambulo 1I » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:00 pm

You would know depending on whether it is a single, double, or triple bond. If the types of bonds are the same, then you would know if the bond lengths are shorter or longer based on the periods the atoms are on. Because atomic radii increase from top to bottom on the periodic table, the bond length would also increase the same way. For example, water (H20) has a shorter bond length than hydrogen sulfide (H2S) because sulfur is one period below oxygen, so there are more electrons because another shell is added. As a result, the bond length is longer.

Emma Popescu 1L

Postby Emma Popescu 1L » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:57 pm

Bond length is determined by the strength of the bond so the stronger the bond, the shorter the length. Single bond is the longest, then double bond and triple bond is the shortest. However, the size of the atom can determine the length of the single bond.

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”