Bond Length Trends

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Bryce Ramirez 1J

Bond Length Trends

Postby Bryce Ramirez 1J » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:43 pm

For Lewis Structures with different lengths of bonds, will the bond lengths for each always be somewhere in between the length of the longest and shortest bond? I know that single bonds are usually longer than shorter bonds, and triple bonds are even shorter.

Daniel Yu 1E

Re: Bond Length Trends

Postby Daniel Yu 1E » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:45 pm

I think the size of the atom also matters, as do lone pairs and electronegativity.

KarineKim2L

Postby KarineKim2L » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Lewis structures with resonance structures will have bond lengths that average the lengths of all of the bonds in the structure, as a resonance structure is the blended average of all different structures. However, if there is only one structure, then single bonds (denoted with a single line) are longer that double bonds (denoted with two lines) which are longer than triple bonds (denoted with 3 lines). If the atoms involved are larger, and the bond order is the same, I believe larger molecules will have longer bonds.

Maeve Miller 1A

Postby Maeve Miller 1A » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:02 pm

This is only true if a structure has resonance (where you could move the double/triple bond to multiple locations) because this is where the resonance hybrid is. In other instances, the lengths of bonds would be more reflective of the type of bond as well as the size of the atoms involved.

Sam McNeill 1E

Postby Sam McNeill 1E » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:59 pm

With double and triple bonds, I believe because there are more electrons involved, the atoms are pulled closer together which shortens the bond length.

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”