Bond lengths and lone pairs

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

DesireBrown1J

Bond lengths and lone pairs

Postby DesireBrown1J » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:48 pm

If a central atom has more lone pairs, would that affect its bond lengths with the surrounding atoms?

Sebastian Lee 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Bond lengths and lone pairs

Postby Sebastian Lee 1L » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:53 pm

I think so. I believe that if an atom has more lone pairs it will have a longer and weaker bond with surrounding molecules that also have lone pairs. Since electrons repel each other, the lone pairs would want to be as far away as possible from other lone pairs on bonded atoms. In class, Dr. Lavelle commented that F2 would have a larger than expected bond length because the lone pairs on each Flourine atom would repel each other. I'm not sure about if the other atoms don't have lone pairs but I would think there would be a degree of repulsion between lone pairs and bonded electron pairs.

Joanne Kang 3I

Postby Joanne Kang 3I » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:45 pm

I think lone pairs affect bond lengths because lone pairs cause repulsion. Structures without lone pairs have no extra repulsion except from the atoms in the molecule. Minimal e- repulsion causes the max distance between atoms.

DLee_1L

Postby DLee_1L » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Yes, more lone pairs would result in longer bond lengths. Dr. Lavelle also gave an order to how strong lone pairs and bonds affect each other: pair-pair>pair-bond>bond-bond.

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”