Hydrogen Bonding and Dispersion

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Diana A 2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Hydrogen Bonding and Dispersion

Postby Diana A 2L » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:55 pm

I'm a bit confused between the concepts of hydrogen bonding and dispersion. Can someone clarify the difference between the two?

JonathanS 1H

Re: Hydrogen Bonding and Dispersion

Postby JonathanS 1H » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:25 am

Hydrogen bonding occurs between hydrogen bonded to a F, O, or N and a lone pair of electrons on one of those molecules. London dispersion forces occur between all atoms/molecules and are the same as induced dipole-induced dipole forces in which random e- movement causes areas that are partially charged and cause partial charges in another molecule, which leads to attraction.

aishwarya_atmakuri

Postby aishwarya_atmakuri » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:06 am

Dispersion occurs between two nonpolar atoms/molecules. Hydrogen bonding occurs when an H is bonded to a highly electronegative atom.

AronCainBayot2K

Postby AronCainBayot2K » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:35 am

Hydrogen bonding occurs when hydrogen is bonded to Nitrogen, Oxygen, or Fluorine. Dispersion occurs when two non polar molecules interact. Also dispersion is the most weakest intermolecular force, while hydrogen bonding is one of the strongest.

Postby 105335337 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:12 am

Dispersion occurs between two non polar molecules. When two non polar molecules get close into contact, the electrons will cause an induced-dipole onto both molecules, making one side positive and one slightly negative. This yields them to be attracted to each other, creating LDF aka dispersion.

H bonding is a select type of bonding only between hydrogen and N/O/F molecules. It is quite strong compared to the lower IMFs & is considered extremely important in biological compounds.

sarahforman_Dis2I

Postby sarahforman_Dis2I » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:48 pm

Diana A 1G wrote:I'm a bit confused between the concepts of hydrogen bonding and dispersion. Can someone clarify the difference between the two?

Hydrogen bonding occurs between H and either N,F, or O (three very electronegative attractions). This means that H-bonding is an extremely strong dipole dipole interaction. Dispersion forces are due to instantaneous dipoles and the stickability of atoms, meaning that they occur between all molecules. For dispersion forces, fixed dipoles are not needed.

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”