Bond Strengths

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Victor Li 2A
Been upvoted: 2 times

Bond Strengths

Postby Victor Li 2A » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:31 am

In general, which factor has the largest effect on bond strength (bond length): atom size, number of bonds, or lone pairs of e-?
Can someone also rank them from having the largest effect on bond strength to having the smallest effect? Thank you.

KhanTran3K

Re: Bond Strengths

Postby KhanTran3K » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:41 am

Hey!
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, and this may vary, but I believe that number of bonds would have the most effect on bond strength, then size, then lone pairs. I believe that they each have their own effect depending on the situation, but for the most part, for example, a triple bond is going to have a great impact on the bond strength vs. repelling from lone pairs or the size. From lecture, Dr. Lavelle emphasized that with the data that he incorporated with the c-c, o-o, and n-n bond strengths. Again, feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Hope this helps!

jessicasilverstein1F

Postby jessicasilverstein1F » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:55 am

I think that the number of bonds would have the most affect on bond strength. The more bonds, triple bonds for example, the stronger the bond. Then besides this I think the length of bonds is also important in determining strength (longer = stronger) (shorter = weaker)

Anya Holbrook 1E

Postby Anya Holbrook 1E » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:08 pm

I agree with what the others have said about bond type (i.e. single, double, triple) having the largest effect on bond strength but the way I have been thinking about it is that all of those factors that you mentioned affect bond strength in their own ways. For example, bond strength wouldn't be as strong if there were one double bond with two atoms with larger atomic radii versus if there was a double bond with smaller atomic radii, if that makes any sense.

Helena Hu 3E

Postby Helena Hu 3E » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:11 pm

Bond length also correlates to bond strength --> triple bonds are shorter and thus harder to break; single bonds are longer and easier to break.
A stick is harder to break when it is shorter vs when it is long. Hope this helps!

AnjikaFriedman-Jha2D

Postby AnjikaFriedman-Jha2D » Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:54 pm

I believe the number of bonds is the key factor because a triple bond is stronger than both a single and double bond, as well as having a much shorter bond length because of the high level of attraction. In addition, you would look at the other factors when comparing bond strength between molecules that have the same number of bonds. For instance, F2 would have a greater bond strength than Cl2 even though they are both a single bond.

Sydney Jensen 3L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Sydney Jensen 3L » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:38 pm

I believe that the number of bonds has a large impact on the strengths of said bonds. The more amount of bonds means the bonds are shorter, hence they are closer together, meaning they are harder ot break. If the bonds are hard to break, then they will be seen as strong compared to a long single bond that could be broken quite easily.

Veeda Khan 2E

Postby Veeda Khan 2E » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:47 pm

most to least
1. bond strength (number of bonds)
2. atom size (number of electrons in general)
3. lone pairs

Gigi Elizarraras 2C

Postby Gigi Elizarraras 2C » Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:56 pm

I would agree with the others in that bond length plays a major role in determining the bond strength. In the same molecule, a single bond is less strong than a double, and a double weaker than a triple. Atom size also plays a prevalent role in that as atomic radius increases so does the ionization energy of atom.

Nhu Pham-Dis3G

Postby Nhu Pham-Dis3G » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:32 pm

To add on to what everyone has been saying, I think the number of bonds has the largest impact on bond strength. Atoms can either be bonded with a single, double, or triple bond. The triple bond provides the strongest bond, the double bond is a little bit weaker, and the single bond is the weakest bond.

Gustavo_Chavez_1K

Postby Gustavo_Chavez_1K » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:01 pm

Yeah I agree with what mostly everyone is saying. The number of bonds has the largest effect on bond strength, followed by atom size, and the finally by the number of lone pairs.

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”