Covalent Bond Length

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Vivian Hoang 1H

Covalent Bond Length

Postby Vivian Hoang 1H » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:15 pm

Can someone list the factors affecting covalent bond length and explain the effect of each? I am reviewing the outline and would love to add onto what I already know and make sure I understand everything.

Jade_Tai_2L

Re: Covalent Bond Length

Postby Jade_Tai_2L » Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:24 pm

I'm not sure about others, but I believe bond length is determined by the # of bonded electrons? So the higher the bond order, the stronger the pull and the shorter the bond length. So bond length increases from triple bond < double bond < single bond

Benjamin_Hugh_3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Benjamin_Hugh_3F » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:12 am

Adding on, electronegativity can also affect the bond length. The higher the electronegativity, the stronger the electrons will be pulled toward the atom. Which will lead to a shorter bond length since it's harder to separate the electrons from the atom. I guess this is just another way to explain bond strength and order.

Gian Boco 2G

Postby Gian Boco 2G » Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:52 am

Electronegativity, atomic radius, and either being a single, double, triple bond contributes to bond length.

kristinalaudis3e

Postby kristinalaudis3e » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:56 am

the higher the electronegativity of the atom, the stronger the pull on electrons meaning that the bond length would be shorter and stronger. same goes for atomic radius. if the atoms have a small radius, the electrons are more tightly held, meaning the bonds would be stronger and shorter. triple bonds are shorter than double bonds which are shorter than single bonds, and these go in order of decreasing strength

Vivian Hoang 1H

Postby Vivian Hoang 1H » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:43 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied! It was very helpful when reviewing for midterms. Hope you all did amazing!

Queena Chu 3E

Postby Queena Chu 3E » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 pm

The number of bonds (single, double, or triple bond), atomic radius, and electronegativity all contribute to bond length.

Madeline Ogden 3B

Postby Madeline Ogden 3B » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:18 pm

Electronegativity, atomic radius, and bond multiplicity all effect covalent bond length.
-The higher the electronegativity, the stronger the electrons will be pulled toward the atom. This leads to stronger, shorter bond length (higher pull = stronger bond).
-If the atom has a small atomic radius, the electrons are more tightly held, meaning the bonds will be stronger and shorter (less distance = stronger bond).
-Lastly, weak (longer) bonds break more easily and are more likely to be involved in reaction, whereas strong (shorter) bonds are harder to break and less reactive. The order from strongest to weakest goes triple bond > double bond > single bond (higher bond multiplicity = stronger bond).

Jeremy Wei 2C

Postby Jeremy Wei 2C » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:05 pm

Hi, bond length is affected by the atomic radius size, electronegativity, and whether it is a single/double/triple bond.

Susan Chamling 1F

Postby Susan Chamling 1F » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:28 am

Electronegativity, Atomic radius, Bond type (Triple, Double, or Single), among other factors will affect bond length and in turn, bond strength. Shorter bonds tend to be stronger than longer bonds, and molecules with stronger bonds typically have a higher boiling point as a result.

Khushi_Gupta_1A

Postby Khushi_Gupta_1A » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:17 am

With ionic bonds, the distance and charge affect the strength of the bond. For example, if there are more electrons being transferred then the bond would be stronger. With covalent bonds, the length of the bond and electronegativity affect the strength of the bond. Moreover, triple bonds > double bonds > single bonds, therefore higher amounts of bonds allow for a shorter bond length.

Khushi_Gupta_1A

Postby Khushi_Gupta_1A » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:18 am

For covalent, the difference in electro negativity will determine if the bond is either polar or non polar. And the increasing number of bonds decreases the bond length. Higher bond order (number of bonds) indicated more attraction between electrons and the atoms will be held closer together

Kimiya Aframian IB

Postby Kimiya Aframian IB » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:30 am

Vivian Hoang 1H wrote:Can someone list the factors affecting covalent bond length and explain the effect of each? I am reviewing the outline and would love to add onto what I already know and make sure I understand everything.

Hi! Covalent bond length is directly related to the strength of the bond. This means that if it is more covalent then it will have a stronger and shorter bond. Also, if it is a smaller atom-atom relationship, this will usually also be a smaller bond because the nuclei are closer together. Hope this helps!

Helena Hu 3E

Postby Helena Hu 3E » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:43 am

Kind of off topic, but touching on the type of bond (single, double, triple bond), the more bonds, the shorter the bond length and thus it is more difficult to break.
A single bond is easier to break and has a longer bond length than a triple bond.

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”