Sapling #4

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rachel Kho Disc 2G

Sapling #4

Postby Rachel Kho Disc 2G » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:46 pm

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by bond character in one of the parts to sapling 4? I eventually got to the right answer because by comparing the experimental bond lengths to the ones given in the table and deducing that because experimental single bonds are less than the expected, the double bonds have ample character, but is that the right reasoning? Also is there anything else we'll need to know about this concept for the midterm? And if it was in lecture, can someone point me to what lecture (day and week) it was mentioned in?
Last edited by Rachel Kho Disc 2G on Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jasmine Ho 3I

Re: Sapling #4

Postby Jasmine Ho 3I » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:56 pm

Essentially that question was just asking how close the observed bond lengths matched up with the expected lengths for a single or double bond. You could say it has ample bond character for all of the expected bonds because the observed lengths were between both and not very noticeably closer to one of them. If the observed length for, say, a carbon-oxygen bond in a molecule is very close to the expected length for a C--O bond and very far from the expected length for a C=O bond, you would say it has overwhelmingly C--O bond character.

Kaiya_PT_1H

Postby Kaiya_PT_1H » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:21 pm

Yep I basically did the same as Jasmine, it seems logical to rule out answers that include "overwhelming" because the observed bond lengths seemed not to be super close to either the single or double bond lengths, but somewhere in the middle.

Francesca_Borchardt_2D

Postby Francesca_Borchardt_2D » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:30 pm

I did a similiar thing as the others. I thought of which bond was closest to the character of the typical bond and logically chose the closest one.

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:46 pm

Bond character refers to how strong the attraction is (how short the bond length is). Even if you don't know, you can assume that, from the chart they give you, the C-N and C-O bonds aren't "overwhelmingly" strong and the C=N and C=O bonds are pretty short. From this you can assume that the C=N and C=O bonds are fairly ample. Hope this helps :D

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”