sapling #4

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nan_Guan_1L

sapling #4

Postby Nan_Guan_1L » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:23 pm

hi! for this question, I understand the part about carbon nitrogen bond, since the bond length is closer in value to the carbon-nitrogen double bond. But for carbon oxygen bond, the value is approximately the average of carbon oxygen double and single bond. So what kind of ample bond character does the carbon oxygen bond demonstrate? Thanks so much!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-11-16 at 2.19.02 PM.png

Andreas Krumbein 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: sapling #4

Postby Andreas Krumbein 1L » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:36 pm

On this particular question "ample" means having a significant amount of C-O or C=O character without either one being overwhelming. On the other hand, having an "overwhelming" amount of C-O or C=O other means the bond length is far closer to the standard bond length of one than the other. Neither term is specific and simply is a generalization of the the way the experimental bond length leans.

Sophia Kalanski 1A

Postby Sophia Kalanski 1A » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:39 pm

I agree with the above comment, when saying "ample" it is way more closer to the middle of the two bond lengths and therefore wont have significantly more than one or the other.

anikamenon2H

Postby anikamenon2H » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:50 am

I asked my TA about this wording as well and he said not too worry about it too much since they're such ambiguous words and aren't used to scientifically describe bond character. I would just find the average between the single and double bond lengths and determine which the given bond length is closer to, don't worry too much about the wording, it's really just asking what it's closer to.

I hope this helps!

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”