How to determine which has stronger bonds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

annemarielawrence

How to determine which has stronger bonds

Postby annemarielawrence » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:24 am

Hi, I have a question on how to determine if C2+ or C2- has stronger bonds. If anyone can explain to me which one it is and how they determined that, I would greatly appreciate it!!

Narin Maisha 2H

Re: How to determine which has stronger bonds

Postby Narin Maisha 2H » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:20 pm

To determine which has a stronger bond, you will have to first draw out the molecule. Since one will have an extra electron and one will have one less electron, you will be able to determine the strength of the bonds through the type of bonds used in regards to the carbon. A triple bond would be the strongest, and a single bond is the weakest.

Samidha Menon 1E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Samidha Menon 1E » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:51 am

You would find the molecule with the stronger bonds by drawing the lewis structures. The more double and triple bonds, the stronger!

Jelix Tsan 2H

Postby Jelix Tsan 2H » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:57 am

Stronger bonds are shorter than weaker bonds, and may contain a greater amount of covalent bonds between the atoms (triple bonds > double bonds > single bonds in strength). The length of bonds is determined by the covalent radius of the two atoms that make up the bond--the smaller the sum of the two covalent radii, the shorter the bond length. You can apply these principles to the Lewis body diagram of the two molecules to determine which one will have stronger or weaker bonds.

Sally_Luo_3F

Postby Sally_Luo_3F » Sun Dec 05, 2021 8:49 pm

Hii,
stronger bonds are shorter because they are bounded more tightly. In a lewis structure, the stronger bonds are the double and triple bond.

Return to “Bond Lengths & Energies”