Memorizing VSEPR

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michelle Steinberg2J

Memorizing VSEPR

Postby Michelle Steinberg2J » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:43 pm

Does anyone have any tips on memorizing all of the names for molecular shapes? I think my chemistry teacher last year gave us something to make memorizing a bit easier but I can't remember...

Thanks!

Sean Monji 2B

Re: Memorizing VSEPR

Postby Sean Monji 2B » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 pm

As far as memorization goes, I think the best method for learning anything is quiz and recall. If you really want to, I'd make (or look up) flashcards of the different types of shapes (one side name, other shape) and try quizzing yourself whenever you can, even in between classes, until you got it down. I know its a little tedious and it was annoying whenever a teacher back in middle school forced us to make them, but it really is the most efficient way of learning I think. Maybe try looking up some mnemonic that work for you? The names should be pretty self explanatory.
Sorry if you were looking for a specific memorization technique though...

edit: Yea, it is better to understand the concepts behind why things are a certain way, in all classes not just chem, rather than mere memorization (as you may know). Though knowing your terms is definitely helpful
Last edited by Sean Monji 2B on Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

Humza_Khan_2J

Re: Memorizing VSEPR

Postby Humza_Khan_2J » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:59 pm

I agree with the above user, but I think it's much more about conceptualizing based on the number of lone pairs, bonds, and how they repel each other.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”