Polarity of NH3?

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Aya Shokair- Dis 2H

Polarity of NH3?

Postby Aya Shokair- Dis 2H » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi,
I am slightly confused because I was determining the polarity of NH3 and I came to the answer that it's polar because it contains polar bonds making the entire molecule polar. Overall, the hydrogens are more positively charged than the nitrogen. However, I remember in class Professor Lavelle saying ammonia is non-polar. Did I mishear him or is my reasoning wrong?

nathansalce 3e

Re: Polarity of NH3?

Postby nathansalce 3e » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:08 pm

Nh3, or ammonia, is definitely polar. Nitrogen is more electronegative than hydrogen, thus pointing the dipole moments to the nitrogen. Nitrogen's lone pair pushes the hydrogen away, thus making the dipole moments point in a common direction without cancelling out, making Nh3 a polar molecule.

AtreyiMitra2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby AtreyiMitra2L » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:00 pm

Maybe you heard ammonium? That would be polar because there is a net dipole moment of 0. Ammonia would definitely be polar because of the lone pair on the nitrogen. The lone pair is why the vectors wouldn't cancel out and why the molecule is now polar. Whenever there is a lone pair on the central atom, the molecule is polar.

Alexia Joseph 2B

Postby Alexia Joseph 2B » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:04 pm

Remember that NH3's lewis structure is a central nitrogen atom, attached to 3 hydrogen atoms and with one lone pair of electrons. The molecule is polar because the molecule is not symmetrical. There is a lone pair on the nitrogen, so the dipoles cannot cancel.

Lily Guo 1D

Postby Lily Guo 1D » Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:21 pm

NH3 is polar because it has 3 dipoles that do not cancel out. Each N-H bond is polar because N is more electronegative than H. NH3 is overall asymmetrical in its VSEPR shape, so the dipoles don't cancel out and it is therefore polar.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”