Bond Angles

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

altaing

Bond Angles

Postby altaing » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:29 pm

Will we need to know the exact bond angles for each molecule or compound?

Erik Khong 2E

Re: Bond Angles

Postby Erik Khong 2E » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:35 pm

I don't think Lavelle expects us to know how to calculate or remember the bond angles, but try to at least remember how to work out every AXE formation. Also keep in mind that lone pairs, E, will repel electron densities more, which will make their bond angles lesser than usual since they are getting pushed together.

Gurshaan Nagra 2F

Postby Gurshaan Nagra 2F » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:29 pm

I don't believe it is required but it is pretty helpful to know them for each of the arrangements

Rithik Kumar 3E

Postby Rithik Kumar 3E » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:24 pm

I believe that with this unit in general, Dr.Lavelle emphasized that we should come to understand each of the molecular structures. Knowing the arrangements and shapes will allow us to draw conclusions about bond angles and how they are affected by lone pairs. I think it might be better if we understand the concepts between the influence of bonding regions and etc on shape and angles as oppose to memorize details.

Adrian Lim 1G

Postby Adrian Lim 1G » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:42 am

Do you know if Dr. Lavelle has a chart of all the shapes and bond angles of the different shapes? Also, some angles are a bit confusing, as some may say approximately less than 109, whereas a solution may be more accurate, such as 107.5. Should we know the exact numbers?

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”