VSEPR formula

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Mike Vinci 2B
Been upvoted: 1 time

VSEPR formula

Postby Mike Vinci 2B » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:52 pm

What's going on Chemistry Community, while doing homework I came across VSEPR formula, and I had to study the dynamics of it to understand how to do it. However, I noticed that some species have the same VSEPR formula. For example, both BeCl2 and CO2 are AX2. I understand they might have similar structures based on VSPER THEORY, but I'm curious to learn if they will act the same way as each other in chemical reactions. Again, I believe we discussed that similar structures contribute similar behavior, but is the behavior related to the species being AX2, or is it simply a way to organize structures with similar central atoms and ligands?

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 737 times

Re: VSEPR formula

Postby Chem_Mod » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:21 pm

Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion (VSEPR) theory is a model used in chemistry to predict the geometry of individual molecules based on the number of electron pairs that surround their central atoms. Although structure usually contributes to function, it's purpose isn't to tell us the properties or reactivity of molecules; the model is just a way to predict what shape a molecule has. However, there are some properties that we can attribute to the shape. For example, BeCl2 and CO2 are both nonpolar because the dipole moments within each molecule cancel out due to the linear shape of these molecules.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”