Bond Angles

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kaleb Tesfaye 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Bond Angles

Postby Kaleb Tesfaye 1I » Tue May 22, 2018 9:32 am

Does the type of chemical bond (single, double or triple) affect the bond angle of a molecule?

Alicia Yu 1A

Re: Bond Angles

Postby Alicia Yu 1A » Tue May 22, 2018 10:00 am

I don't know the in-depth answer, but yes.
This website does a good job explaining it.

https://socratic.org/questions/how-does-bonding-affect-molecular-geometry

Jennifer Ma 1G

Postby Jennifer Ma 1G » Tue May 22, 2018 12:15 pm

I also looked up some information on the correlation of amount of bounds and the bond angles, so I also know that bond angles are affected by the number of bonds. However, I don't think that this is something we need to focus on too much because the syllabus does not necessarily mention this concept.

Neha Divi 1K

Postby Neha Divi 1K » Sat May 26, 2018 5:14 pm

I also was looking up more information and I found that bond angles are affected the three factors: state of hybridization of central atom, lone pair repulsion, and electronegativity. Lone pair of electrons at the central atom always try to repel the shared pair of electrons, thus, bonds are slightly displaced and result in a decrease of bond angle. In addition, if the electronegativity of the central atom decreases, the bond angle decreases.

SamanthaGrohe1B

Postby SamanthaGrohe1B » Sun May 27, 2018 5:39 pm

I believe that this is not the central focus of bond angles that Dr. Lavelle wants us to get out. A huge part of bond angles is the number of bonding pairs compared to the lone pairs of the molecule as the lone pairs have greater repulsive forces than bonding pairs and thus cause one of the most substantial differences in bond angles. I would focus on the orientation of the total bonds around the central atom more so than the number of bonds between individual elements (single, double, or triple).

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”