Polar Vs. Nonpolar

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kaleb Tesfaye 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Polar Vs. Nonpolar

Postby Kaleb Tesfaye 1I » Sat May 26, 2018 8:03 am

In class, we looked at some examples of molecules that were polar and nonpolar. One of the examples for a non polar molecule was Tetrachloromethane (CCl4). Then Dr. Lavelle demonstrated how a similar molecule, Trichloromethane (CHCl3) is a polar molecule because the dipole moments do not cancel. The hydrogen is not as electronegative as the Cl and therefore experiences a net vector towards the C. I was wondering what the polarity of a molecule would be with a composition of CFCl3 (if such molecule exists). I assume it will be a polar molecule because F is more electronegative than Cl but I am not sure.

Emily 1E

Re: Polar Vs. Nonpolar

Postby Emily 1E » Sat May 26, 2018 11:50 am

CFCl3 does exist. I think it is slightly polar. In general, if a central atom has more than 3 atoms around it and the 3 atoms are not all the same, the dipole moments don't completely cancel. In this case, the electronegativity different in C-F is slightly large than that of C-Cl, so there is a resulting polarity, although it would probably be very small

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”