Form vs. Shape

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jade Corpus-Sapida 1G

Form vs. Shape

Postby Jade Corpus-Sapida 1G » Tue May 29, 2018 4:37 pm

Whats the difference between a molecule's form and shape? I saw the post about water being bent and having a tetrahedral form. What is meant by form?

Luis Avalos 1D

Re: Form vs. Shape

Postby Luis Avalos 1D » Tue May 29, 2018 7:42 pm

I believe form refers to all the electron regions around the central atom (including lone pairs), while shape does not account for the lone pair regions. In the case of water, there are 4 electron regions which would create a tetrahedral form, but since we don't count lone pairs in shape it's just bent/angular.

NatalieSDis1A

Re: Form vs. Shape

Postby NatalieSDis1A » Tue May 29, 2018 8:48 pm

I am not familiar with the post you are referring to but I am not sure if there is a formal distinction between form and shape. The person above me is perhaps correct in pointing out that water's bent shape is derived from a tetrahedral shape, but I am not aware of referring to the shape a lone pair molecule is derived from as the 'form.' I am also tentative to say that shape does not account for the lone pair regions because in class when we replaced an atom on one of the molecules with a lone pair, the shape changed. I am especially wary of the notion that water has a bent shape because we don't count the lone pairs. Conversely, I think we are very much so counting the lone pairs because if we ignored them we would have a linear shape.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”