bond angles and lone pairs

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Alma Carrera 3C

bond angles and lone pairs

Postby Alma Carrera 3C » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:15 pm

How do you determine if there "may" be or "must" be lone pairs based off of the bond angles?

Te Jung Yang 4K

Re: bond angles and lone pairs

Postby Te Jung Yang 4K » Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:30 pm

Usually you would first make a Lewis structure and see if there are lone pairs that way, but I'm assuming that you want to know to tell if there are lone pairs solely given the bond angles of a molecule.

But, in this case, you would not even know the elements comprising the molecule in question as if you have the elements within a molecule, you can make a Lewis structure.

To answer your question, perhaps if you see a bond angle that isn't one for the basic structures with no lone pairs (180-linear, 120-trigonal planar, 109.5-tetrahedral, 90-octahedral... etc), if would be safe to assume there are lone pairs.

But, by no means is this a infallible method, so take what I said with a grain of salt.

KarlaArevalo2F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby KarlaArevalo2F » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:47 pm

I think the bond angles will give you the geometry if they are all the same. If they differ then that may lead to there being lone pairs. But we should get a molecular shape diagram and it'll become apparent if there are lone pairs because it would not follow the basic geometry (no lone pairs)

Isabelle_Maletz_3E

Postby Isabelle_Maletz_3E » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:13 pm

The Lewis Structure drawing usually comes first which tells you if the central atom is going to have lone pairs. From there you can determine the bond angle.

duverge_maciel

Postby duverge_maciel » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:06 pm

Can a problem that is based on a VSEPR model contain a lone pair?

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”