Dipoles

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Diana Sandoval 1K
Been upvoted: 1 time

Dipoles

Postby Diana Sandoval 1K » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:13 pm

What are dipoles and how do we determine them?

Hovik Mike Mkryan 2I

Re: Dipoles

Postby Hovik Mike Mkryan 2I » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:21 pm

Hello,
Dipoles are formed because of partial positive and partial negative charges within a molecule. The charges between the polar (having unequal charges) molecules creates the attraction and bond. Hope this helped.

isarose0

Postby isarose0 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:57 pm

Dipoles are a result of partial charges of atoms (or areas) in molecules, this can be determined by looking at the electronegativities of the elements involved, more electronegative elements pull electrons in closer creating a partial negative charge in the molecule

Andrew Sun 1I

Postby Andrew Sun 1I » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Essentially you want to determine if the molecule is polar or non polar, and this will allow you to figure out if there will be dipoles. Using electronegativity values, if u calculate the difference between values and find that it is 0.5 or greater, then the molecule will be polar and therefore have dipoles or be able to have a dipole-dipole interaction with another polar molecule.

Jake Gordon 1A

Postby Jake Gordon 1A » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:34 pm

Dipoles are regions of partial negative and partial positive within a molecule. They are determined by differences in electronegativity. Unless the two atoms interacting are identical there will be a small dipole but the difference in electronegativity calculation will tell whether the element is polar or non polar. They essentially occur because the electrons spend more time around the more electronegative atom causing higher electron density and a negative charge due to the higher number of electrons. This forces the opposite side to have a slight positive charge.

isarose0

Postby isarose0 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Dipoles are a result of a partial positive and negative charge on atoms in molecules. You can determine this by figuring out if the molecule is polar or non-polar. Polar signifies that the molecules will experience the dipole-dipole interaction.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”