Drawing structures

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Vana Mirzakhani 3I

Drawing structures

Postby Vana Mirzakhani 3I » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:17 pm

When trying to draw the structure of NH3, will this structure have that triangular shaped wedge at any given time? I ask so because I know that the central atom, N, ends up with a lone pair, but am not sure if that triangular shaped wedge would be appropriate. Thank you.

Brian Chhoy 4I

Re: Drawing structures

Postby Brian Chhoy 4I » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:21 pm

Yes NH3 would have a shape of trigonal pyramidal, since the lone pair doesn't count as part of the shape. However, its electronic shape (shape considering all regions of electron density) would be tetrahedral.

Jonathan Pai 2I

Postby Jonathan Pai 2I » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 pm

Yes, because it has the same 3 Dimensional shape as a tetrahedral, however because of the lone pair, its shape is "Trigonal Pyramidal"

Madeera_Mian_3B

Postby Madeera_Mian_3B » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:46 pm

I agree with the other replies, just to add the lone pair would cause the structure to be Trigonal Pyramidal. When looking at the structure in 3D we can see that the structure looks different than the Tetrahedral structure due to the lone pair.

Jeannine 1I

Postby Jeannine 1I » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:07 am

Yes, if you were to draw the VSEPR model of NH3, given that it has a lone pair, you would draw N as the central atom with a lone electron pair attached, one H with a regular line, one H with the stripes, and one H with the triangular wedge!

The striped lines means the H atom is seen in the back, while the triangle shaped wedge is meant to be popping out of the paper towards you.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”