Fluorine and Electronegativity

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Meachelle_Lum_1I

Fluorine and Electronegativity

Postby Meachelle_Lum_1I » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:12 am

Which will have a higher melting point: CHI3 or CHF3?
I assumed it was CHF3 since Fluorine is the most electronegative and will have a strong pull on the electrons of the other atoms. Can someone explain why CHI3 is higher?
(6th edition 6.5c)

Courtney Quan 1C
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Fluorine and Electronegativity

Postby Courtney Quan 1C » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 am

Iodine is a larger atom and therefore has more electrons than fluorine does. Because of iodine's greater number of electrons, there is a better likelihood/tendency of electron fluctuations to occur and create a dipole (greater polarizability). This greater likelihood of electron fluctuations/shifts strengthens the dipole of iodine and results in a stronger intermolecular force than that of fluorine because a dipole is more likely to occur. Stronger intermolecular forces require more energy to break, which is why CHI3 has a higher melting point than CHF3.

Max Hayama 4K

Re: Fluorine and Electronegativity

Postby Max Hayama 4K » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:43 am

Although fluorine has a larger electronegativity than iodine, there is still a covalent bond between the carbon and the fluorine so their is no permanent dipole between the two. As a result, iodine has a lot more electrons than fluorine, making it more polarizable thus resulting in greater induced dipoles between this bond. The greater the dipole moment, the more intermolecular forces.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”