Octahedral

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Stephen Sirmay 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Octahedral

Postby Stephen Sirmay 1I » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:17 am

Can an octahedral also be classified as square bipyramidal? In the same way that a trigonal bipyramidal is named fittingly for its shape, couldn't an octahedral be named this?

Faith Fredlund 1H

Re: Octahedral

Postby Faith Fredlund 1H » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:24 am

No it cannot be named this. I'm not sure there is a reason why, but Dr. Lavelle said in class to a boy that asked this name question that it may never be called square bipyramidal. It will always be octahedral; named for its eight faces.

David S

Postby David S » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:33 am

It's simply a matter of convention. Sure, you can name it "square bipyramidal," and that can make sense, but somebody along the way decided to call it octahedral, and that name became the popular choice among scientists.

Katie_Duong_1D

Postby Katie_Duong_1D » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:42 am

Stephen Sirmay 1I wrote:Can an octahedral also be classified as square bipyramidal? In the same way that a trigonal bipyramidal is named fittingly for its shape, couldn't an octahedral be named this?

The octahedral shape corresponds to VSEPR formula AX6, meaning there are 6 bonding regions. However, the name is octahedral because there are 8 faces to an octahedron.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Octahedron.jpg/280px-Octahedron.jpg

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”