bond angle

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ruiting Jia 4D

bond angle

Postby Ruiting Jia 4D » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:36 pm

Is there a way to calculate bond angle besides memorizing the shapes that are associated with the bond angles?

Ryan Troutman 4L

Re: bond angle

Postby Ryan Troutman 4L » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:42 pm

Drawing out the example can be an indication of what the bond angle may entail, but it's best to just memorize the bond angles for each VSEPR arrangement. In addition to this, you can visualize the model in your head and think of all the different angles. However, I don't believe there is a way to specifically calculate each unique bond angle (especially ones with lone pair electrons pushing down) without some serious equipment.

Ava Kjos 1D

Postby Ava Kjos 1D » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:24 pm

We haven't been given a way to actually calculate the bond angles. However, it's easier to remember the angles if you remember the bond angles associated with each number of electron densities. For example, when there are two areas of electron density the angle will always be 180 degrees, when there are three the angle will be less than or equal to 120 degrees, when there are three regions the angles will be less than or equal to 109.5 degrees, and so on. This way you don't have to remember every single VSEPR model, you can just figure it out based on the number of regions of electron density.

Madeline Motamedi 4I

Postby Madeline Motamedi 4I » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:13 pm

I believe the easier way would be to memorize the angles associated with different VSEPR Models and then explain whether in that case the angles are larger or smaller depending on the atoms involved in the molecule.

Jaedyn_Birchmier3F

Postby Jaedyn_Birchmier3F » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:59 pm

The safest way is to memorized the different bond angles associated with each kind of shape and then know what would happen if there are lone pairs as lone pairs make the angles smaller due to higher repulsion.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”