Electron geometry vs molecular shape

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

CaminaB_1D

Electron geometry vs molecular shape

Postby CaminaB_1D » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:04 am

Did we go over the difference between electron geometry and molecular shape?

mahika_nayak_3L

Re: Electron geometry vs molecular shape

Postby mahika_nayak_3L » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:10 am

I think he briefly mentioned it but basically electron shape views a lone electron pair the same as any regular bonding pair. For example, SO2 would have a molecular shape of bent (2 bonding regions + 1 lone pair) but electron geometry of trigonal trigonal planar (3 regions of electron density).

Vy Lu 2B

Postby Vy Lu 2B » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:44 am

The difference between electron geometry and molecular shape is whether the lone pairs are taken into account or not; electron geometry demonstrates the complete positions of all shared or lone pair electrons around the central atom, while the molecular shape depicts the physical appearance of the atoms arranged around the central atom.

Josceline 3J

Postby Josceline 3J » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:04 am

What is the difference between the molecular shape and the geometry shapes? I know more or so about the molecular but are these different from the geometry ones?? please help

Carlos Gomez 3H

Postby Carlos Gomez 3H » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:04 am

I think that knowing how to identify both the electron geometry and molecular shape will be important for the upcoming test. Simply remember that the electron geometry only takes into account all regions of high electron density that includes lone pair and bonded electrons. Also keep in mind that a single unpaired electron on the central atom is treated like a lone pair when determining the electron arrangement.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”