Regions of electric density in VSEPR Model

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shirley Liu 2I

Regions of electric density in VSEPR Model

Postby Shirley Liu 2I » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:36 am

Why are single, double, and triple bonds all considered one region of electron density for the VSEPR? I understand that all the electrons are clustered in that one region, but wouldn't having more electrons (from double and triple bonds) create greater repulsion and bend angles even more in the VSEPR?

Jerome Mercado 2J

Re: Regions of electric density in VSEPR Model

Postby Jerome Mercado 2J » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:12 pm

Considering that lone pairs can freely move around their region while bonded electrons are stuck in between atoms explains why lone pair - lone pair interactions repulse electrons farther. Like you said, that bonded electrons are clustered into one region, but lone pair regions take up more space since the can move more freely in their density region.

megan blatt 2B

Re: Regions of electric density in VSEPR Model

Postby megan blatt 2B » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:04 pm

As you stated, they are one region of electron density because the electrons in a bond, whether it is single, double, or triple, are confined to the area between the two atoms. They are held in this area due to their attraction to the atoms' nuclei. I believe that this force of attraction probably outweighs any possible repulsion. Also, the bond angles would only be affected when there is repulsion between two separate electron density regions, or bonds.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”