Bold/Dashed Lines in Bonds

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Christine Chen 1H

Bold/Dashed Lines in Bonds

Postby Christine Chen 1H » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:11 pm

In the answer key for the homework, a lot of the Lewis structures bonds have dashed lines/bold lines. What do those lines distinguish and will we need to draw structures in that way on future tests?

Francis_Nguyen3D

Re: Bold/Dashed Lines in Bonds

Postby Francis_Nguyen3D » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:16 pm

Hello,
the bold and dashed lines within the lewis structure represent the 3D position of an atom within the molecule.
When it is a bold line, that means that the atom is more towards the foreground. When it is a dashed line, that means that the atom is more towards the background.
I believe you can draw the lewis structure the normal way, but doing the bold and dashed lines just helps you see the molecular shape better. As long as you can tell what the shape is on the test, I think you would be set!

Postby 005199750 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:22 pm

Hi, I had the same question. But does it matter which atoms we draw does the foreground vs. background? Or does that not matter? Additionally, how to we draw Hydrogen bonds? Do they get dashed or anything like that too?

Briana Perez 3A

Postby Briana Perez 3A » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:49 am

The bold and dashed lines are just a better way to represent a 3D figure. The bold line means that the element is coming forward while the dashed line means that it is towards the back. This is easy to remember because when something is closer is it more prominent, therefore bold and as it gets farther away, it is more difficult to distinguish therefore dotted. I do not believe that it will be necessary to draw the two lines on a test, however you will be tested on the shape of the molecule.

lindsey_ammann_4E

Postby lindsey_ammann_4E » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:21 am

It doesn't matter which atoms for which the bonds you make bold or dashed if the bonds are symmetrical with that shape because the structure can rotate. It's just a different view.

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”