Polar vs. Non-polar

(Polar molecules, Non-polar molecules, etc.)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Nadeen 3D

Polar vs. Non-polar

Postby Nadeen 3D » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:08 am

I have trouble really distinguishing between polar and non-polar and I've done practice problems but can some explain the concept to me a little more and provide examples?

Tony Ong 3K

Re: Polar vs. Non-polar

Postby Tony Ong 3K » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:26 am

Polar bonds have partial charges due to the unequal distribution of charges/electrons whereas nonpolar bonds have an equal distribution. Usually symmetrical molecules are nonpolar because the charges are evenly distributed. All Carbon-Hydrogen bonds are nonpolar.

Claire Guo 1B
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Claire Guo 1B » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:18 am

All homonuclear diatomic molecules are nonpolar because the partial charges are equal and cancel out because the molecule is linear and the charges point in opposite directions. Polar molecules are the opposite (partial charges do not point in opposite directions and therefore do not cancel out).This can be applied to other polyatomic molecules as well. In cis- molecules, the same atoms are on the same side of the central atoms which causes the partial charges to point in diagonal directions. As a result, the cis- molecule is polar. However, in trans- molecules, the same atoms are on different sides of the central atoms which causes the partial charges to point in opposite directions. As a result, trans- molecules are nonpolar.

Anjali_Kumar1F

Postby Anjali_Kumar1F » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:19 am

how do you know if a bond is polar or non polar?

Return to “Determining Molecular Shape (VSEPR)”